Fitlegs Anti-Embolism Stockings are a method used to prevent and reduce the risk of Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT).
What is Deep Vein Thrombosis?
DVT (deep vein thrombosis) are blood clots which can form in the veins, usually the leg. When a blood clot forms in one or more of the deep veins in the body, DVT can cause leg pain or swelling.
Risk factors contributing to Thrombosis
According to Virchow’s Triad there are three risk factors contributing to the development of a deep vein thrombosis: intravascular vessel wall damage, stasis of flow, and the presence of a hypercoagulable state.
Vessel wall injury: vein dilation causes micro-tears in the endothelium
Stasis: reduced blood movement leads to clot formation behind valve cusps
Hypercoagulability: changes in blood chemistry affecting extrinsic and intrinsic coagulation pathways
Who are at risk?
- Those aged over 60
- History of DVT
- Inherited or acquired Thrombophilia
- Major surgery
- Elective lower extremities
- Acute spinal cord injury
- Multiple trauma
- Immobility or decreased immobility
- Patients who are contraindicated for pharmacology drugs
- Anticoagulant medication having to be stopped before surgery
How Fitlegs Anti-Embolism Stockings Prevent Deep Vein Thrombosis
The Fitlegs Anti-Embolism Stocking range provides the same clinical benefit as other AES products, with a specific graduated compression profile that is clinically proven to help prevent against deep vein thrombosis. This compression level is called the Sigel’s profile and is universally known as the standard for anti-embolism stockings.
Graduated compression which starts at the ankle to push blood back up to the heart to prevent the valve cusp inside the vein from closing.
Fitlegs AES Features
- DUOFIT™ technology provides a two way stretch for easier application
- Sizes – XS (slimline), S, M, L, XL and XXL (bariatric)
- Colour coded – Stocking, measuring tape and packaging
- Teal colour – Better compliance
- Inspection hole – To check capillary refill and feel foot pulses
- Available in below knee and above knee
- Single ankle measurement reduces nursing time
- Available in grip and non-grip
You can buy Fitlegs AES from our online store, however before ordering you should be measured correctly for a Fitlegs Anti-Embolism Stocking by a medical professional.